Scholarship Sponsored by Marshall H. and Nellie Alworth Memorial Fund
High school seniors awarded the scholarship spring of 2024, will be eligible to receive $24,000. The award will be distributed over eight semesters ($3,000 per semester) providing recipients meet the following requirements: cumulative GPA of 2.85 as a freshman and a 3.0 for subsequent years, continue to major in an approved mathematics or science field of study, and 35-50% of total credits taken each semester must be in math and science.
To be considered for a scholarship, applicants must:
- be a U.S. citizen graduating from a high school in one of the following Minnesota counties: Aitkin, Beltrami, Carlton, Cass, Cook, Crow Wing, Lake, Itasca, Koochiching, and St Louis.
- have a composite score of 24 or higher on the American College Test (ACT). (SAT scores not accepted.)
- be pursuing a 4-year degree. This includes those who begin at a community college.
- have a high school cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- commit to major in one of the designated fields of study.
- have demonstrated qualities of character, perseverance and ambition.
- have a high scholastic standing among their peers.
- be from a family whose Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is less than $175,000.
- one letter of recommendation from a Math or Science teacher.
Fields of Study
The Alworth Scholarships support full-time students in these fields of study:
- Animal Science
- Clinical Laboratory Science
- Computer Science
- Environmental Science
- Nursing (bachelor degree programs only)
- Occupational Therapy
- Osteopathy (DO)
- Paper Science
- Physical Therapy
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Soil Science
- Speech and Hearing Science
- Teaching Classical Mathematics
- Teaching Basic Science
- Veterinary Medicine
- Wildlife Management and Zoology