Amelia and Emanuel Nessell Family Scholarship
Scholarship Sponsored by Duluth Superior Area Community Foundation
The Amelia and Emanuel Nessell Family Scholarship Fund helps students in financial need, with priority consideration to Jewish applicants. Jewish applicants receive priority, based on the wishes of the scholarship founders. In 1997, relatives of Amelia and Emanuel Nessell created the scholarship as a memorial to the couple. The Nessells moved to Duluth in 1920, and Emanuel served as a manager for the First Street Department Store. Their four children, Sophie, Leonard, Louisa and Harry, attended Duluth public schools and graduated from Central High School. The family established the scholarship because the Nessells valued higher education and helping students in financial need.
- Graduate of Duluth public and private schools (Duluth Denfeld, Duluth East, Area Learning Center, Harbor City International, Marshall School and Lake View Academy)
- Demonstrate financial need (FAFSA information required)
- Demonstrate strong academic habits: GPA: 3.0 or higher
- Priority for Jewish grads
- Engage in Extracurricular Activities
Scholarship Grant Range
- $1,000 for one year
- This scholarship is part of the Universal Application: December 1 – February 15
- ONE Universal Application: Create a profile in the scholarship portal. Fill out the first page of the universal application to filter through all of the scholarships you qualify for.
- This scholarship may be used for expenses of post-secondary education at any accredited college, university or technical/ vocational school
- Award Payments will be mailed directly to the school/ university
- Fall Payments are mailed July 15-30
- Spring Payments are mailed December 15-30
- Transferring Schools: Please contact DSACF if you plan on transferring schools. Transferring schools does not automatically transfer your scholarship. If a transfer occurs after scholarship money has been disbursed it may take up to 90 days to reprocess the scholarship payment.